studentsuvidha

Full Version: Power Plant Engineering IPU ME notes and question paper free download
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SYLLABUS:-

UNIT – I  
Steam Generator Plant: Fuel handling systems, Indian coals, combustion of coal in furnaces; Elementary boilers- Cochran, Babcock & Wilcox. High pressure heavy duty boilers, Super critical and once through boilers layout of evaporator, super heater, re-heater and economizer; dust collectors; ash disposal, fans and draft systems, fluidized bed combustion; 

UNIT – II 
Steam Nozzles: Application of Nozzles. Types of Nozzles. Expansion of steam through a Nozzle. Effect of friction. Critical pressure ratio. Areas at Throat & Exit for maximum discharge conditions. Performance at off- design conditions. 
Steam Turbines: Classification. Impulse and Reaction Turbines. Compounding of steam turbines. Velocity diagrams. Conditions for maximum efficiency.. Losses in steam turbines. Reheat Factor. 
Turbine Plant: Feed water heaters-surface and de-aerator, construction of large condensers- zoning, air cooling zone. Calculations effect of air cooling on vacuum pump rating, cooling water systems and cooling towers Feed water treatment-make up and internal conditioning.  Governing of steam turbine

UNIT – III  
Other Power Plants: General layout of I.C. Engines and turbine power plants, types, gas turbine plants, fields of application, Nuclear power plants, power reactors and nuclear steam turbines; handling of nuclear waste and safety measures, peak load power generation methods. 

UNIT –IV 
Control: Important instruments on steam generator and turbine; drum water level control, combustion control and super heat temperature control; testing of power plants and heat balance. 
Economics: Planning for power generation in India, super thermal power plants, estimation of cost of power generation; choice of plant site.