studentsuvidha

Full Version: Strength of Materials-2 IPU ME notes and question paper free download
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SYLLABUS:-

UNIT I 
3D Stress: Three dimensional stress and strain, Stress tensor,  stress invariants, Strain Tensor, Equilibrium Equations, St. Vernants principle, generalized hooks law, Theories of elastic failure. 
Strain Energy:  Strain Energy Due to Axial Force, Shear Stress, Bending; Maxwell’s reciprocal theorem, Castigliano’s theorem for statistically determinate structures. 

UNIT II 
Shear Stresses in Beams: Shear stress at a section,shear stress distribution for different sections: square, rectangular, Triangular, Circular section, I-section, T-section. 
Thick Cylinders: Stresses in thick cylinders,  sphere subjected to internal pressure, Lame’s equations, compound cylinders, spherical vessels, hub shrunk on solid shafts.

UNIT-III 
Columns: Combined direct and bending stresses in columns, Euler’s and Rankine Gordon equations, applications of  Johnson's empirical formula for axially loaded columns.
Curved Beams: Bending of beams with large initial curvature, position of neutral axis for rectangular, trapezoidal and circular cross sections, stress in crane hooks.

UNIT IV 
Rotating Disc and Cylinders: Rotational stresses in discs and rims of uniform thickness; discs of uniform Strength, long cylinder.
Unsymmetrical Bending and Shear Centre: Properties of beam cross-section, Principal Axes, Determination of Principal Axes, stress and deflection in unsymmetrical bending, shear centre.