studentsuvidha

Full Version: strength of materials SOM NOTES and PAPERS with syllabus mdu btech
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DOWNLOAD ALL PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS HERE of both old and new scheme

please post some notes here or you can mail at admin@studentsuvidha.com

SYLLABUS:-

Section-A 
Simple Stresses & Strains: Concept & types of Stresses and strains, Poison’s ratio, stresses and strain in simple and compound bars under axial loading, stress strain diagrams, Hooks law, elastic constants & their relationships, temperature stress & strain in simple & compound bars under axial loading, Numerical. 
Compound Stresses & Strains: Concept of surface and volumetric strains, two dimensional stress system, conjugate shear stress at a point on a plane, principle stresses & strains and principal- planes, Mohr’s circle of stresses, Numerical. 

Section-B 
Shear Force & Bending Moments: Definitions, SF & BM diagrams for cantilevers, simply supported beams with or without over-hang and calculation of maximum BM & SF and the point of contra-flexure under (i) concentrated loads, (ii) uniformly distributed loads over whole span or a part of it, (iii) combination of  concentrated loads and uniformly distributed loads, (iv) uniformly varying loads and (v) application of moments, relation between the rate of loading, the shear force and the bending moments, Problems. 
Torsion Of Circular Members: Torsion of thin circular tube, Solid and hollow circular shafts, tapered shaft, stepped shaft & composite circular shafts, combined bending and torsion, equivalent torque, effect of end thrust. Numericals. 

Section-C 
Bending & Shear Stresses in Beams: Bending stresses in beams with derivation & application to beams of circular, rectangular, I,T and  channel sections, composite  beams, shear stresses in  beams with combined bending, torsion & axial loading of beams. Numericals. 
Columns & Struts:  Column under axial load, concept of instability and buckling, slenderness ratio, derivation of Euler’s formulae for the elastic buckling load, Eulers, Rankine, Gordom’s formulae Johnson’s empirical formula for axial loading columns and their applications, eccentric compression of a short  strut of rectangular & circular sections, Numerical. 

Section-D 
Slope & Deflection: Relationship between bending moment, slope & deflection, Mohr’s theorem, moment area method, method of integration, Macaulay’s method, calculations for slope and deflection of (i) cantilevers and (ii) simply supported beams with or without overhang under concentrated load, Uniformly distributed loads  or combination of concentrated and uniformly distributed loads, Numerical. 
Fixed Beams: Deflections, reactions and fixing moments with SF & BM calculations & diagrams for fixed beams under (i) concentrated loads, (ii) uniformly distributed load and (iii) a combination of concentrated loads & uniformly distributed load.